To paraphrase an old cliche, 95% of humans involved in strategic decision making are influenced by personal values, the other 5% are lying about it. There’s no such thing as purely rational strategic decision making when humans are part of the process. Whether strategic decision making occurs individually or as a group, personal values play a pivotal role.
Shifting from a Tactical Decision to a Strategic Decsion
Image Courtesy: FreeDigitalPhotos.net
What might start as a routine project financial analysis to conduct a ‘sanity check’ can be transformed into a strategic dialog and require a strategic decision. Or, a decision to initiate a project can sometimes shift into a strategic decision. When either situations occur, ‘the perfect number’ becomes secondary. The bigger strategic questions to ask are how the project investment affects either the buyer’s or the seller’s organization. What are other examples when a shift from a tactical project decision to a strategic decision might occur? Here are six ways a project decision can become a strategic decision.